According to the Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary, a slave is a person that is controlled by another person or thing. He does not have an independent mind-his decision are strongly influenced by another person or thing.
A slave to sin is a person who is controlled by the force of sin. He cannot do without committing sin. He is strongly bonded to the yoke of sin no matter how much he tries to break free from it.
WHAT IS SIN?
Sin is the transgression of the law. It is an act of disobedience to God’s established laws and commandments. Anyone who lives with the habit of breaking God’s laws is a sinner.
CONSEQUENCES OF BEING A SLAVE TO SIN
There are six main consequences of being a slave to sin. They are:
1. He is an alien to God: Anyone still living in sin is a stranger in God’s house. He does not have a permanent residence in God’s kingdom. “The slave does not continue in the house (God’s family) forever… (John 8:35a, words in bracket mine). He cannot have access to God’skingdom riches unless he repents from sin.
2. He is the devil’s possession: Anyone who has the devil’s property (sin) in him is automatically a toy in the hands of the devil. “He who commits sin is of the devil” (1 John 3:8a). The devil uses him to fulfil his whims and caprices.
3. His prayers are unanswered: A sinner’s prayer is an abomination before God (Isaiah 59:1-2). God doesn’t hear such prayer. The only prayer of a sinner that is acceptable to God is the prayer of genuine repentance.
4. He is a victim of God’s wrath: God’s face is against anyone who does evil (1 Peter 3:12b). His wrath rests evidently with sinners daily (Psalm 7:11b, John 3:36b).
5. He is spiritually separated from God: Sin separates a man from God because His eyes are too holy to behold iniquity (Isaiah 59:2). It makes a man be far from God. It is the cry for mercy that brings him close to God.
6. He has an eternal home in hell: A sinner has a permanent home in hell, a place that burns with fire and brimstone eternally if he fails to repent from his sins (Revelation 21:8). No unrighteous person will enter into heaven, the eternal home prepared for the saints.
Are you a slave to sin?
THE WAY OUT OF SLAVERY
Living a life that is free from the bondage of sin is a choice to be made by those who are tired of being the devil’s captive. The first step to living a sin-free life is to hate sin, confess your previous sins and forsake them (Proverb 28:13).
Secondly, you must invite Jesus into your heart by faith now that He can still be found. When He comes in, He will break the yoke of sin in your life and give you the power to become God’s child(Matthew 11:28-29, John 1:12).
Thirdly, you must make a permanent commitment to Jesus to serve Him as your Lord and Saviour all the days of your life. Living a sin-free life comes with its own special demand and package-a life of total surrender to the Lordship of Jesus now and forever.
Lastly, learn everything you need to know about Jesus by attending a church where God’s words are taught with sincerity. Study and meditate on His actions, teachings and commandments. Ensure that you obey Him every time and everywhere. Regular obedience to God is the surest way to maintaining your liberty in Christ Jesus. Make the decision to obey Him today. Shalom.